Tuesday, June 06, 2006

mtv: do they really care? part II


(If it says Part 2, there must be a prequel, no? Maybe you wanna read that one 1st? Okay. Here I go.)

(Wrote this way back when as well. The follow up. What you think?)

After consultation with my good man, Femi Olagbaiye, MTV Events & Marketing for West Africa, he was upset that I was joining "Nigerians" to "beef" 2Face. He asked whether I had a problem with the African category at the Grammy's. I told him I did not BECAUSE the Grammy's, though American, do not have a "regional" tag. The fact that there was a "Best African Act" at the MTV "EUROPEAN" Music Awards was disturbing to me. Then the enlightenment came.

The station should not be misinterpreted as MTV Africa. It is MTV base Africa. In essence, an MTV Africa does not exist the same way MTV Europe exists. MTV base is a creation of MTV Europe to showcase urban talent in Europe, as urban contemporary is not exactly the music of the region. Therefore, base Africa is an extension of base, which is an MTV Europe creation.

What did I take from all this? That MTV Europe owns base Africa? EXACTLY! This brought a smile to Femi's face, which I understood. Understand I do but my next statement, though not exactly funny if you think about it seriously, made us both laugh. I said, if that be the case, then I must be right that they really do not care as this is just slavery modernized! It indirectly states that we cannot stand independent. True or false? A bit extreme, I know but you should be able to see where I'm coming from.

My good friend also rubbished the notion that MTV re-shot any videos for 2Face, so I apologize for that misleading statement, although I gathered it from Kemistry via her radio show on Rhythm 93.7FM, owned by Silverbird Entertainment, who are partners with MTV base. A good source would you not say? So I guess what I am trying to say is that it was not ENTIRELY tailor made for dude. That, however, does not alter the notion that he is their "Golden Boy" of the moment.

So, now I understand that base Africa is one of MTV Europe's children (step, maybe), I understand the award BUT still do not agree with it. Call me stubborn but hey. And to all those who commented on Part 1, I thank you for taking the time to read it and also offer your words of agreement and disagreement.

This is my latest position and I hope to hear yours as one sided dialogue is not really that great. And if 2Face were to read this, I'm sure he'd say to me:

"No matter what you do I'm gonna make my doe!"

And I agree with the man. This is just my opinion. You decide if it is valid or butt.

I'm out!

PS - I would still work for MTV though :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

err was googling some stuff on the EMAs and came across this by chance - just a random relatively useless point, but i dont see the fuss about an african act at the EMAs i mean hell, the americans pretty much dominate it this year.. in fact i actually think only like 3 europeans even won anything lol.. anyway, i'm european by decent but african at heart so i have no negative feelings about this either way.. *shrugs* :)

10:09 PM  
Blogger Don Chi as Blog Marley a.k.a. El Senor Supremo said...

hey anna, thanx for checking in. I believe part 1 of that post stated how Americans dominate the EUROPEAN Awards. It does suck ass really but hey. I see your multi-ethnicities are being satisfied simultaneously. good on ya mate. ;)

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home