Tuesday, June 06, 2006

mtv: do they really care?


(I posted this on hi5 sometime last year and thought I'd add to me blog as well. Enjoy... or not)

I love MTV. I really do. I want to work for MTV. Well, not like it's a life or death issue but I really wouldn't mind as music is my life (wife).

My issue is this. Is MTV any different from any other multinational just out for a quick buck? Do they really care about all these other countries they have stations in? It seems like just another means of imposing the "American Way" on us all.

If I say I am not at all envious of 2Face Idibia, I will be lying but we will get to this later. I am saying this now because people might dub me a "Player Hater" and fail to see where I'm coming from.

Before 2Face became the "unofficial" face (no pun intended) of base Afrique; even long before there was a base Africa, I had issues with the MTV European Awards. Why do Alicia Keys and co. keep winning European Awards? I appreciate that they are worldwide stars but what the fuss? They get all the shine while the actual European winners do not even get televised. All they get is a rundown? That stinks to high heavens if you ask me.

This is why I was utterly gobsmacked when I learnt there was a "Best African Act" Award at the EMAs. I thought somebody was smoking something before I realized it was actually true. Come on! Best African at the Europeans? At least, it could have targeted African artistes based in Europe since there is a strong presence there. I thought it stunk really. If it was introduced @ the VMAs, I'd hush up pronto because that isn't tagged the American Awards but just the MTV Video Music Awards so that would make perfect sense but @ the EMAs? I think not. The station aired this year, so no one would be mad if no African award was done. I mean, awards are given out over the period of a year, no?

This is where my 2Face thing comes back into play. It looked (to me) like a cheap attempt to compensate their "Golden Boy" of the moment for losing out at KORA and MOBO. MOBO (Music Of Black Origin) is another funny thing as well. While the category does fit the bill, I am not one for any race driven entity (KKK, NAACP, Rednecks, BET, nada). Just get the best of the best, regardless of name, creed, color, religion, etc. Anyway, I digress. Apologies.

I am not taking anything away from 2Face as I am happy for the dude. Really, I am but the Award should not have been in the 1st place. Well, not have been in the manner that it was done. When people were getting excited that he won, I was wondering why. Who did they think would win? It was tailor made for the dude. First on base Africa's rotation? Present at base LIVE shows outside his country? A whole continent of women believing they are African Queens? HELLOOOOOOO! Who was gonna edge him out? If Skwatta Kamp or maybe Lebo were nominated, then it might have been a head scratch. The moment I heard about the nomination, if I had anything to do with it, I would have handed it over to Mr. Idibia personally. I mean, MTV shot him new videos just before the awards? Come on! Or was that just a Nigerian hateration rumor? It was said on radio anyway so should have some truth.

I rocked 2Face's album before most did and I still do, so trust that I am not a hater. My envy comes from the fact that, as a bit of a musician once upon a time - IT COULD HAVE BEEN ME! – but that is not the issue. My issue is album 2. Now that the world is watching, I hope he does not do a Craig David and try to please the Americans. It might not work dude. Keep doing you man. Craig messed up though. Born To Do It rocked.

And the other thing with 2Face, enjoy the heck out of this moment and live it to the max because MTV will love you and leave you alone without a second thought. Just ask Michael.

All this said, I still love MTV and will still work for MTV. I guess if no one is complaining about what is going on, then it ain't really they fault now, is it?

"And just because I no finish school/Some people wanna take me for a fool." - 2Face Idibia

YES O! NOTHING DEY HAPPIN!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home