Wednesday, June 07, 2006

naija & film


(I wrote this on hi5 last year and just updated it and thought I'd add it to my blog. Enjoy... or not)

I heard the outcry from people when TEARS OF THE SUN starring Bruce "Die Hard" Willis and Monica "Hottest Chick Alive" Bellucci was released: "BOYCOTT THIS MOVIE! BOYCOTT THIS MOVIE!" This was because they said it showed a very WRONG depiction of the country with its civil war, mass slaughter theme.

I must confess that I gave the film a miss for a long time because of these sentiments but finally watched it a while back. One thing I have to point out to everybody is that: IT IS ONLY A MOVIE! Meant for entertainment first and hopefully, education. Simply put, it is a fictional story based in/on Nigeria. I agree films have the power to drive misconception but there is not much anyone can do about it. When every Italian is a mobster or Arab is a terrorist in other movies, why do we keep mum? Do you think ALL South Americans are crazy about SCARFACE? So we need to stop complaining about everything or at least have constructive criticism.

My criticism would be the depiction of all Africans being the same. We have White Americans, White Englishmen, White Frenchmen and even Blacks in all these categories that are very different. Heck, we even have White Africans who speak Afrikaans! So, film directors and producers should not really believe that a Zambian can play a convincing Nigerian and vice versa. It was hard to point out a proper Nigerian accent in TEARS OF THE SUN and the same goes for SAHARA, where they pronounced Lagos as LA-GOES instead of LAY-GUSS! Other than that, dislike for the films should be on whether they were interesting or boring, well acted, directed etc.

In another Bruce Willis vehicle (his major coming out part actually), DIE HARD, apparently, the German spoken by Alan Rickman and his terrorist group is actually gibberish and bears no significant meaning. Surely, this is cause for an uproar, first, depicting them as terrorists and then not having the common decency to get the language right. Tossers.

However, it is touted as one of the greatest action pictures of our time. No boycott petitions, no whining, nada. And I’m sure “Ze Germans” enjoyed the movie as well and took it for what it was – entertainment.

I can see where sensitivity will seep in on the issue because being a Nigerian; I also had moments of slight irritation with the many unfamiliar scenes portrayed in the flick. However, I had to remind myself that it was only a movie and get past all that. I mean, if ABOVE THE RIM could make an error in detail so simple – where #52 rebounds the ball on one end of the court, throws a bullet pass down court, catches it and dunks it – then I guess it would be quite hard being accurate on a whole country. More research should have been done, I agree, but many a movie has fallen short in accuracy but we shouldn’t get so worked up by the issue.

And for all we know, while we are all living comfortably in our “urban” dwellings, with access to e-mail facilities and the like to send out boycott petitions, do we know for sure that the rural dwelling, less fortunate people are not suffering similar fates?

I hope I am making sense? And while I am on the subject, JESUS CHRIST being depicted by a White man should stop being such an issue. If you want Denzel to play CHRIST and feel it will take you to Heaven, be my guest!

Have a swell day!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, this is your blog and therefore your space to express your views about anything. Thankfully your readers also have a right to respond to your views. I think we should get hot in the head when we are misrepresented. I remember TRYING to watch Tears of the Sun about three years ago and I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes. I was outraged, like you said that producers of the film didn't care to undertake research before they shot the film. What you suggest is that we watch films, sit on the fence, laugh, and be entertained when a film depicts our country as one of the others on the African continent and our continent as a country. It tells me that the producers haven't given us enough regard to detail us credibly. Is this stretching it? Well if you say all Africans look and sound one way, that is the first step at stripping a people of their colour. You don't need reseach to tell you that Nigerians are extremely opinionated. So where Germans watch and laugh at their own misrepresentations, Nigerians will live fighting.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Don Chi as Blog Marley a.k.a. El Senor Supremo said...

4 anonymous:

Good points raised here. I have thought about it and maybe sitting on the fence isn't the right thing to do. However, angry protests over constructive criticism and helpful enlightenment doesn't really help. That's what I'm combating and if I ddin't come off properly, I apologize.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Bella Naija said...

You have soo many blogs....i cant keep up..Anyway...visit mine and lemme know what u think
http://bellanaija.blogspot.com/

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read http://www.zithromax-pregnancy.info protonix iv boards Krylon battery cleaner 1336 msds Cape giradeau moving company Old model sears camcorder controls Blonde skater in blue protonix Comparison furnace humidifier Keyword protonix tablet Motorcycles suzuki hard case trunks b ambien b overnight demineralized water filter chemical functional groups and protonix

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! » »

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home